Fraser MacPherson Scholarship Applications 2016
The Fraser MacPherson Music Scholarship Fund was initiated to foster the music education of BC’s most promising young jazz instrumentalists. Scholarships are available up to the amount of $2000.00 each and may be awarded to instrumentalists (not vocalists) aged 25 and under (as of Dec. 31, 2016) who are residents of British Columbia. Students who have received more than $500 from the Fund in a previous competition are not eligible to apply again. Members of the Board of the Fraser MacPherson Music Scholarship Fund and members of their immediate families are not permitted to apply.
Please provide the following via email with the subject heading: FRASER MACPHERSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND APPLICATION.
Please send in all required information. Incomplete application will not be considered. Please do not include any extra information with your application.
3. Birth date
4. Mailing address
5. Home phone and mobile phone numbers
6. Email address
7. Name of secondary school, current or previous.
8. The name of the post-secondary institution if you are currently enrolled. This is applicable only to high school graduates.
9. A paragraph of 250 words or less describing what plans you have to further your jazz studies. Include details of how you would use the scholarship money if you receive an award.
10. A recording of a performance prepared according to the following guidelines:
· Record 2 selections of no more than 10 minutes total in length. One of these must be “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You” by Ned Washington and George Bassman. This tune was a favourite of Fraser MacPherson and you can find his recording of it on “Live at the Planetarium”. The other tune could be another jazz standard or an original composition. For each piece the recording should begin with a statement of the melody, followed by one or more choruses of an improvised solo, followed by a concluding statement of the melody. Where possible, minimize or edit out solos by other ensemble members.
· Recordings must be uploaded to Youtube or Soundcloud and a link must be included in the body of the email. Make sure the link or links can be publicly accessed and that they work properly. Do not attach mp3, wav or other sound files to the email.
· Recordings must feature live accompanists. Multi-tracked or overdubbed recordings will not be accepted. A simple, but high quality 2-track stereo recording of a live performance will suffice. The judges must be able to hear your playing and your sound clearly.
· Include the names of tunes you are performing and the names of musicians performing on the recording.
The Board of Directors will review applications shortly after the submission deadline and will notify successful finalists in early December. Finalists will be asked to perform at a live audition held Wednesday and/or Thursday, December 28, 2016 in Vancouver. Finalists must be available to play this audition in person. Friends and family of the applicants and the general public are invited to attend.
Email applications to Application Coordinator, Fred Stride at email@example.com
A COMPLETE application must be received before noon on Friday, November 4, 2016.